Friday, January 1, 2010

Good bye '09!

I remember figuring out in elementary school that I was going to turn 14 in the year 2000 and that seemed like forever in the future. I never even considered turning 24 in the year 2010! It's going to be a good year. I have only a few resolutions. One is to gain less than the 35 pounds I lost in 2009. Another is to visit all 8 temples that are within an hour drive from my house. I don't take as much advantage as I should of having so many temples so close. My third resolution is to not get sick this pregnancy so I can deliver at the birth center. Oh! And to exercise more this pregnancy than I did last (which was like once a month so I should be safe there.) Devan's resolution is to graduate from the LDS Business college at the end of the year. It's going to take some work because he'll have to take 17 credits each semester, plus a few in the summer. My school goal is to not take more than 6 months off with the baby so I don't have to start paying on my loan.

We had a lovely New Year's Eve bash. My mom and Kory were visiting this week so I got to spend my first New Year with them in I don't know how long. When I was in jr high and high school I always went out with my friends and my mom isn't much of a night owl. This actually may have been the first time I ever rang in the new year with my mom. Chad and Ashley and Devan's sister came over and we had a delicious time. We made sesame chicken and fried rice and stir-fry vegetables and later we had chocolate fondue. We were excited to finally use our fondue pot three years after getting it. We had a wonderful, rowdy time. Hannah was still running around crazy after 1 am, but she crashed real nice when we put her to bed.

I've already shut down a little because of the freezing weather, but we were able to do a few fun things while Mom and Kory were here.

Thursday we made a turkey and mashed potatoes and had a little Christmas. When I say "we" I mean everyone else with "supervision" from me. I don't cook anymore. Maybe I will again in a couple of weeks. Anyway, we didn't do anything special to the turkey and it came out so moist and wonderful.



Then we opened our presents to each other.



Hannah got a super fun Leap Frog drum from Aunt Dena and the cousins. She especially loved the chair it came in.



Mom got me some really cute shirts, but they were a little too smart for me.



Grandma got Hannah an easel. I was planning to get her one for her birthday, so I'm really excited that we don't have to buy her anything in April.



Mom wrapped up the paper separately and before I opened it I kept joking about it being a giant sausage. Hannah took me seriously.



That night we went to see the lights on Temple Square. Hannah thorougly enjoyed her first train ride.







One day we took a trip to visit the beautiful downtown library



We spent a lot of time riding the glass elevators and then explored their giant children's section.



Hannah got bored, but Dad needed to see how the book ended.



Hannah held us up on our way out because she had to stop and eat the snow. I seriously don't know who she saw doing that, but it was so gross!



Devan's little sister Nicole just finished her first semester of cosmetolgy school and mom needed a hair cut. Mom didn't have much confidence at first.



She cut a ton off!



Meanwhile, Kory started something he really couldn't finish.



He ended up pretty soaked. But we all loved Nicole's finished product!




She's going to be a great hair-cutter if she does that well after only studying for four months. Mom and Kory left this afternoon and we were very sad to see them leave. From the airport, we immediately dropped Hannah off at Nana's and went to dinner and for a nice long drive. It's so great to have the crazy holidays finally over and have some time by ourselves. I remember in high school my piano teacher once told me, "If you want to save your marriage, have a weekly date night." So true!

Then we came home and Devan changed Hannah's diaper. She didn't want to put her new diaper on so Devan told her to go sit on the potty. She sat there for about 5 minutes and finally peed! We were so excited. I gave her a Whopper (candy, not the burger. When I reread that it seemed a little misleading) for a job well done. I hope it does the trick. I wish someone gave me candy every time I peed.

2 comments:

Ryan and Heather Bartron said...

It looks like you guys had a ton of fun! So, do you know your official due date now? My mom made chocolate fondue for New Year's Eve too. So yummy! Yeah, those shirts do look a little tricky. Tell your mom I love her hair! And lastly, I also think it might be a good idea if someone gave you candy every time you peed. We need to talk soon! I'm home, so call me when you have time.

AlixSteele said...

I think the candy thing would be a good job for you. I don't really know about a due date. I'll get an ultrasound around 20 weeks and they might be able to give me an idea then. I really think it should be the end of July sometime, but I'm saying mid-August so I don't freak out if I'm a week or two late.