Friday, August 5, 2011

Babies Under the Sea

Ben turned one for real last week. Luckily all the practice partying at my mom's house last month had me prepared to throw THE MOST AWESOME ONE YEAR OLD PARTY EVER! Maybe it wasn't the most awesome, maybe I just spend way too much time online finding other people's ideas to steal.

Let me get the decorations and food out of the way first, since they were responsible for 3 nights of very little sleep and for me saying a few pretty serious swear words while we were setting up.


I'll give you the same warning Devan gave our guests before eating, "Although it all looks like sea creatures, don't be confused, it's food."

We ate normal hotdogs for lunch, but these "octopus hotdogs" were too cute of an idea to not make a few.


Peanut Butter and Jellyfish sandwiches!


 Fish food. You can't tell, but the blue jello has a little toy fish suspended in it. Also featured are Swedish fish and goldfish crackers in a fish bowl.


Shark Chow


Sea Vegetables, guarded by a bell pepper octopus


Sandcastle cake surrounded by an ocean of fish cupcakes.


And lest we forget, the water bottles reminded us that it was Ben's Baby Beach Party. And I made sure to put some sippy cups in the cooler too so all the babies would feel comfortable.


The kids had a fun time playing in the sand...


and in the surf.



We had a cooler full of ice, which is guaranteed to keep me and Ben happy no matter what's going on.








Ben got very serious when everyone started singing to him.



We couldn't get the candle lit, so we faked it.










Ben was enjoying his cake, but, like the meanest-mom-in-the-world I am, I pulled him away to open his presents.





When all the presents were open, the party got much more peaceful. The babies all played with the new toys...


And the big kids took the goodie bags and played with their new sand toys.


And I sat and talked to my friends.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Cutest dang beach party EVER!

Andy and Alianna said...

So fun! The food looked way too creative to eat. Andy loved the Shark watermelon...he said it was scary. I can't believe Ben is 1 already. Time flies. Happy birthday to Ben!

sweets said...

You are so talented with partys! very cute!

Renee Beck said...

Looks like it was another successful Party, you are so clever!! Fun stuff!