Thursday, August 20, 2009

Bunnies and Giraffes

This isn't supposed to be the first picture, but my computer is being weird and I can't seem to move it down. It doesn't start the entry on a very good note, but just keep reading. It's not as bad as it looks.


Yesterday we were invited over to my uncle Randy and his wife Penny's house. They have a beautiful home and yard and sitting around on their grass was the most perfect way to spend a sunny afternoon. We got there just in time to see my cousin Holly's daughter, Kaede, before she had to go home. I tried to get some pictures of Hannah with her second cousin, but she didn't want to cooperate. It's a great picture of Kaede though. Kaede just turned 6 and is going into the first grade soon. I can't believe she's so grown-up already!

We visited Randy and Penny in the beginning of June when Hannah was just learning to walk. That day she had a hard time because she couldn't walk as far as Kaede. Now, just two short months later, she was running all over the place. They have a huge yard and it was so nice for Hannah to have a big area to explore.


Hannah got to sit in a little girl sized chair. Once her grandpa sat in it and she went over and pulled him up and took her seat back.
She's been noticing little chairs a lot lately. I think that it's finally clicked for her that she's a lot littler than everyone else and she likes things that are her size. I took this picture a few weeks ago at my mom's house. She hopped up on Kory's little chair, grabbed the remote control, and watched TV. So cute! I guess I don't like that she's familiar enough with that scene to mimic it, but cute nonetheless.


But I digress...


Hannah finding rocks just like she does everywhere she goes...


This isn't a great picture of Hannah, but I wanted to show this great little nook they have next to their house. I really should have gotten more pictures of the garden -- it's so beautiful.


Some other highlights of the day... Hannah saw their kitty and went right up to him and said "Meow". She's really hit-and-miss with her animal sounds, but I was glad that when she saw the cat it jogged her memory. And that she said it when there were witnesses around. Babies never do tricks on command...people must think I just make up all the things she can do. We also got to see Randy's completed basement. He had to redo it after some flooding and it looks absolutely amazing. Also, the day before yesterday Penny passed her last final, so she is now an official nursing school graduate. Congratulations Penny!

And the most important part of visiting Randy's house... the bunnies! This is Bun and Bun-Bun (I don't know which is which). We've been talking about bunnies all summer, ever since the first trip to Randy and Penny's. Hannah was excited to get to see the bunnies again.

It was such a nice, relaxing afternoon and Hannah loved being able to spend the day with so much family.


When we got home we dug in the toy box looking for something to play with and found her horse or giraffe costume (There's ongoing debate about which it is. Any insights you may have would be welcome.) My Aunt Renee got it for her at the beginning of the summer, but so far she hadn't liked wearing it very much. However, this time when I put it on her she loved it. I rushed to get the camera, but by the time I got back she'd gotten too hot and was mad again. I took the pictures anyway.

2 comments:

Ryan and Heather Bartron said...

I'm so glad you keep updating your blog. I always look back on things Nathan did and think, "Ah! I didn't write that down anywhere!" Then I remember I blogged about it. I wish we could see you before we leave!

P.S. It's definitely a giraffe

AlixSteele said...

I only write for you Heather! I wish we could see you guys too. It's such rotten luck that we're moving on the same day. If you'd left a few days earlier or a few days later...but oh well. We did find an apartment by the way. It's one that we looked at before we got married, but it was too big and expensive for us at the time, but now I think it will be perfect. We have to be there by 6 pm on Monday to sign the lease which means we'll have to leave Sunday evening and do one of those fun all night drives, but my dad is coming with to help, so that will make a big difference. Devan is heading home anytime between next Monday and Sunday. If they happen to slow down, then one day his boss will just tell him to go home. I really hope he comes home sometime before next weekend so we have a few days together to get moved in before he starts school. Either way, I'm just super excited to see him EVERY SINGLE DAY! I am sad to be leaving Washington already though. It's been a great summer!

P.S. I think its a giraffe too, but people try to argue with me because it doesn't have a long neck.