Friday, August 28, 2009

Our move

This is currently what my living room looks like. The sad thing is that it was pretty much cleared out yesterday and then we brought the last truck load from storage a couple of hours ago.



We have had a busy, fun week. We spent Sunday night at my mom's house and then headed out of Puyallup with my dad at about 9 on Monday morning. It was really hard to say all our goodbyes. We decided ahead of time we were only going to get as far as Boise and then spend the night, so we made it a pretty leisurely trip. We stopped at the fruit stand next to Ellensberg and I discovered donught peaches, so then we had to stop at another fruit stand in Yakima so I could buy a couple more pounds. They were so delicous. I ate peaches at every single meal until Thursday.

We got a late start on Tuesday and didn't get to our apartment until about 5. We got the lease signed and the cars unpacked and then Dad and Devan got a load from storage while Hannah and I grocery shopped. The next morning I had class from 8-11 am and then 5-8 pm, so I wasn't able to be much help moving in, but the men got about half our stuff moved in and by Thursday morning I felt like I had quite a bit of it unpaked.

Thursday afternoon we took a break from all the moving to go see the Kennicott Copper mine.

Here are some fun facts about Kennicott from their website:

Kennecott's Bingham Canyon Mine has produced more copper than any mine in history - about 18.1 million tons.

The mine is 2-3/4 miles across at the top and 3/4 of a mile deep. You could stack two Sears Towers (now known as the Willis Building) on top of each other and still not reach the top of the mine.

The mine is so big, it can be seen by the space shuttle astronauts as they pass over the United States.

By 2015, the mine will be at least 500 feet deeper than it is now.
If you stretched out all the roads in the open pit mine, you'd have 500 miles of roadway - enough to reach from Salt Lake City to Denver.




This is the best family picture we could get. Hannah's a pretty girl.


On Friday after I got home from school we visited Temple Square in downtown Salt Lake.




Devan enjoyed the Conference Center tour a little too much...


And there's my baby walking down steps all by herself...


I feel behind on homework already and like I'll never get the apartment all unpacked, but we've had a fun week being Salt Lake City tourists.

1 comment:

Ryan and Heather Bartron said...

That's kind of what my living room looks like too. By the way, cute shirt in your family picture. You should definitely send it in to awkwardfamilyphotos.com (the picture, not your shirt)!