Monday, November 22, 2010

Bananas for Benjamin

We've been struggling so much with keeping Benjamin fed. He always still acts hungry after I nurse him and he'll cry for hours until I finally break down and give him a bottle of formula. I'm trying not to give him too many bottles because I know that the less time he spends nursing, the less milk I'll produce. It's a slippery slope. This evening we were almost out of formula and he was acting like he was still starving after nursing. I broke down and fed him a mashed banana. With Hannah I was so strict about what I fed her. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends nothing but breast milk for the first 6 months, but other sources say you can start solids at 4 months. He's still a week from 4 months, but I was desperate for a solution and he did a really good job. He hardly spit any out and he ate an entire banana!




He wasn't sure what he thought of it, but it got him to stop crying and he was much more content after he was finished eating




 Hannah took these last pictures...




I'm excited for Ben to be at this stage already. As we speak I have a ton of sweet potatoes (seasoned with rosemary and thyme) roasting in the oven waiting to be pureed and frozen. Lucky, lucky Ben.


1 comment:

LisaJones said...

We started Maddie on Bananas at that exact age. She loved them! She would do just about that same thing when I would nurse her-she was always unsatisfied...SO frustrating! I'm glad he did so well and likes eating real food. I think its a much preferable alternative to formula! Cheaper too!