Wednesday, December 1, 2010

First Thanksgiving Day

We got into Washington at 3:30 in the morning and fell asleep immediately. The kids had slept the whole day before so they were up and ready to go by 6:30. We went to my Aunt Dena's house for dinner. She lives in Centralia, about an hour south of home. Dinner was perfect as always. Benjamin ate his first mashed potatoes. He didn't love them.


I know this isn't proper internet etiquette,(and probably illegal) but I couldn't resist stealing pictures from my beautiful cousin Rosalyn.

Some people just couldn't keep their eyes closed during the prayer...




Hannah fell in love with Uncle Todd and Aunt Dena when they read her books.



Ben with cousin Maddie



The Pelzels: Aunt Dena, Rosalyn, Madison, Connor, Rainey, and Kellen. 


I think they're great.


Rosalyn and her boyfriend, Daniel, with Devan and Madison






Hannah got a hold of a permanent marker before we left my mom's house. That's why her face looks all dirty and homeless.


Hannah was very interested in what Grandpa was doing.


I love my Grandma!


On the way home, Devan drove with my dad and Ben in the car and I drove with my mom and Hannah. About halfway home he fell asleep and went off the road. He over-corrected, spun around so he was going backwards in the middle lane of the freeway for a second, spun again and slammed into the hill dividing the two sides of the freeway. Everyone was unharmed and our car had no damage other than a leaky tire. It was a Thanksgiving miracle. And I'm never letting Devan drive again after 3 hours of sleep and a turkey dinner.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

OH NO! How scary!! I'm so glad everyone is okay, that is terrifying! Wow!

Voewl Movement said...

I just noticed that you have Ben (not Hannah) in the car with Devan and me. And what's weird about that is, once we came to a stop, Devan turned around and asked, "How's Ben?" And I was so in shock that, rather than assure him his child was okay, I answered, "Ben's not here" (as if getting the name right was the issue!).

Anyway, for the sake of the historical record of the event (assuming I'm not going senile), Ben was in your car. Hannah was sleeping (just like her dad and grandpa) in ours.

That last part really freaks me out. All three of us were asleep as this death-machine sped randomly down (and off) the freeway.